Strategies to Streamline Your Workload
As a Health Professional, you are in this business to look after your patients, and make a living. It is difficult to find the balance between operating the business side of things, and service delivery or patient care.
Some of the common questions we are asked in our business consultancy role include:
- I want to know what is going on at all times – how is my business doing? How do I keep track?
- Many Health Professionals who are Directors are struggling to keep up with the clinical side, and keep their eyes on the business
- Delivering consistent clinical services – how can I reduce disruptions?
- Often unexpected increases in demand, interruptions, or team members being unavailable result in interruptions, or the practice owner stepping up to do extra clinical work at short notice. Reducing other types of demands on your time can help you cope with these unexpected disruptions.
- Being ready to respond to changes – what if a key person becomes unavailable (or I am not available)?
- It is quite common for their to be no clear reporting line in a small business, if someone is off sick, it may mean people or bills do not get paid, or patients/clients are turned away.
- I need to plan for the future – how can I keep my focus on both the present and the future?
- Even those health professionals who are on top of the day-to-day running of the business, and still seeing plenty of patients, can lack sight of the ‘big picture’. It is simply too much for one person to manage. How is your business tracking from an annual point of view? Are you meeting your long term goals?
Key tips for managing your workload:
- Streamline your workload – focus on what is most important to you, delegate, and organise information streams
- Ensure information is presented to you in a meaningful, and useful way.
- Keep reporting lines regular, and flexible enough that you are able to request additional information as required
Address the following questions:
- What do I need to do myself?
- What can I delegate?
- What information do I need?
- How can this information be presented to me to save my time, and increase my understanding?
- How much time should I spend on administration of my business?
- What if my manager is on leave?
- What if I am on leave?
- Where can I go for help?
See Chapter 6 of Medical Business Management for more information on streamlining your workload.
We also recommend downloading the reporting templates on our website www.medibusiness.com.au